Connect with us

NEWS

Tim Walz reacts to the latest ICE Shooting and takes a BOLD MOVE against ICE Agents in Minnesota

Published

on

Tim Walz reacts to the latest ICE Shooting and takes a BOLD MOVE against ICE Agents in Minnesota

Gov. Tim Walz has activated the Minnesota National Guard at the request of county law enforcement after a federal agent fatally shot a man in south Minneapolis on Saturday morning.

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it requested the assistance of the guard to relieve deputies who are currently providing crowd control measures at the Whipple Federal Building, where people have been protesting ICE agents since the killing of Renee Good on Jan. 7.

A federal agent killed a 37-year-old man, identified by local media as Alex Pretti, during a struggle on Nicollet Avenue at East 26th Street around 9 a.m. Saturday.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

The scene was quickly surrounded by bystanders, with federal agents deploying tear gas, flash bangs and pepper spray in response to the crowd.

“Due to the potential for continuing and growing conflict related to today’s federal agent-involved shooting, Sheriff Dawanna Witt has requested assistance from the Minnesota National Guard to support our deputies at the Whipple Federal Building so that we can reallocate deputies to other areas in need of support in the county,” the sheriff’s office said.

“Their job will be to assist the Sheriff’s Office in protecting life, preserving property, and helping to ensure the safety of all community members.”

Walz had previously placed the National Guard on standby following previous federal agent shootings, including that of Good and of a Venezuelan national shot in north Minneapolis on Jan. 14.

On Saturday, Gov. Walz said that the government’s “Operation Metro Surge,” which has seen 3,000 federal agents deployed to the state to conduct immigration enforcement, needs to end.

“This federal occupation of Minnesota long ago stopped being a matter of immigration enforcement, it’s a campaign of organized brutality against the people of our state, and today that campaign claimed another life,” he said.

MINNEAPOLIS — Several Minnesota lawmakers are responding to a second deadly shooting in Minneapolis involving federal agents, calling it “sickening” and “catastrophic.”

Officials confirmed a man was shot and killed near East 26th Street and Nicollet Avenue Saturday morning, the third shooting — and second fatality — in Minneapolis involving federal law enforcement in less than three weeks. Thirty-seven-year-old Renee Good was shot and killed on Jan. 7, also on the south side of Minneapolis.

“I just spoke with the White House after another horrific shooting by federal agents this morning. Minnesota has had it. This is sickening,” Gov. Walz posted on social media. “The President must end this operation. Pull the thousands of violent, untrained officers out of Minnesota. Now.”

I just spoke with the White House after another horrific shooting by federal agents this morning. Minnesota has had it. This is sickening.

The President must end this operation. Pull the thousands of violent, untrained officers out of Minnesota. Now.

— Governor Tim Walz (@GovTimWalz) January 24, 2026
Preliminary reports indicate that Saturday’s shooting occurred around 9 a.m. and involved federal agents. Officials said the man was 37 years old.

There has been another shooting involving federal agents in Minneapolis and I am working to get more information. I will update as soon as possible. To the Trump administration and the Republicans in Congress who have stood silent: Get ICE out of our state NOW.

— Amy Klobuchar (@amyklobuchar) January 24, 2026
“There has been another shooting involving federal agents in Minneapolis and I am working to get more information,” said Sen. Amy Klobuchar. “I will update as soon as possible. To the Trump administration and the Republicans in Congress who have stood silent: Get ICE out of our state NOW.”

Sen. Tina Smith called the shooting “catastrophic” and urged ICE agents to leave so Minneapolis Police can secure the scene.

Damning Video Recorded by a Woman at the Scene Appears to Show ICE Agents Shooting a Man After a Violent Street Detention in Minneapolis

Another catastrophic shooting in Minneapolis by federal agents.

We are gathering more information, but ICE must leave now so MPD can secure the scene and do their jobs.

— Tina Smith (@SenTinaSmith) January 24, 2026
“Another catastrophic shooting in Minneapolis by federal agents,” Smith said. “We are gathering more information, but ICE must leave now so MPD can secure the scene and do their jobs.”

Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan added:

“ICE has shot and killed another Minnesotan. A man was killed today because a reckless paramilitary force has been released on American streets against its own citizens. Everyone should be outraged. We need Trump to remove ICE from Minnesota immediately. Stop killing us.”

Hundreds of protesters had gathered in the area, as law enforcement was seen deploying chemical irritants toward the crowd. KARE 11’s Jana Shortal and Joe McCoy were live on-air when teargas canisters were thrown in their direction. Shortal also said they were physically pushed by law enforcement.

Minneapolis City Council Member Aisha Chughtai posted on social media that there were more than 100 agents in the area.

“We’re legally observing the literal 100+ Border Patrol & ICE agents here,” Chughtau said. “They’ve deployed chemical irritants in one of the most dense neighborhoods in Mpls. Be safe. F*#k ICE.”

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty released a message saying her office is working with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to coordinate a state response.

“The scene must be secured by local law enforcement for the collection and preservation of evidence,” Moriarty said, “We expect the federal government to allow the BCA to process the scene.”

A Department of Homeland Security (DHS) spokesperson told the AP the victim was armed with a handgun. A statement posted by the department added officers were “conducting a targeted operation” toward an undocumented immigrant, when they claimed the man resisted arrest, leading to shots being fired.

Homeland Security said that despite life-saving efforts, the man died at the scene.

KARE 11 is working to independently confirm what led up to the shooting, but MPD Police Chief Brian O’Hara confirmed the victim was a U.S. citizen and legal gun owner with a permit to carry a firearm.

MPD Chief O’Hara, Mayor Jacob Frey and others met for a press briefing from City Hall, asking protesters to remain calm and for agents to operate with “discipline and humanity.”

“Our demand today is for those federal agencies that are operating in our city to do so with the same discipline, humanity and integrity that effective law enforcement in this country demands,” O’Hara said.

Frey then directly pleaded with President Donald Trump to “put America first” and use the incident as an opportunity to lead.

“How many more lives need to be lost before this administration realizes that a political and partisan narrative is not as important as American values?” Frey asked.

“How many times must local and national leaders plead with you, Donald Trump, to end this operation and recognize that this is not creating safety in our city?”

He also asked protesters to “remain peaceful,” and declared the situation in Uptown had escalated into an “unlawful assembly.”

“We recognize that there is a lot of anger and a lot of questions around what has happened, but we need people to remain peaceful in the area,” he said.

Rep. Ilhan Omar released a statement saying she’s “absolutely heartbroken, horrified and appalled.”

“It is beyond shameful these federal agents are targeting our residents instead of protecting them,” Omar’s statement said, in part. “This isn’t isolated or accidental. The Trump administration is trying to beat us into submission rather than protect us. This administration cannot continue violating constitutional rights under the guise of immigration enforcement. ICE and CBP must leave Minnesota immediately. Their presence is terrorizing our communities, violating rights, and taking lives with zero accountability. Minnesota was once a place of refuge, and Trump has turned it into a war zone where unchecked federal forces murder our neighbors.”

GOP Majority Whip Tom Emmer blamed Walz and the local leaders’ “rhetoric” on social media, while asking colleagues to “not jump to asinine conclusions.”

The governor and local leaders’ rhetoric has empowered criminals and put federal law enforcement’s lives at risk. It’s dangerous and has made the situation in Minneapolis much worse. Unlike my Democrat colleagues, I’m going to let law enforcement conduct their investigation and…

— Tom Emmer (@GOPMajorityWhip) January 24, 2026
“The governor and local leaders’ rhetoric has empowered criminals and put federal law enforcement’s lives at risk,” Rep. Emmer posted. “It’s dangerous and has made the situation in Minneapolis much worse. Unlike my Democrat colleagues, I’m going to let law enforcement conduct their investigation and not jump to asinine conclusions. We are grateful no Border Patrol officers were harmed.”

Minnesota House Speaker Lisa Demuth released a statement calling it a “tragic loss” and echoed Rep. Emmer’s statement, claiming political leaders of urging confrontation.

“Today we had another tragic loss of life, and I am heartbroken for the loved ones affected,” said Speaker Demuth said. “As we saw yesterday, thousands of Minnesotans were able to peacefully demonstrate without a single incident. Unfortunately there are still too many political leaders urging direct confrontation including the attempted disruption of law enforcement operations and throwing of dangerous objects. These dangerous tactics put lives of officers and the public at risk. We can have protest. We can have lawful monitoring of ongoing law enforcement operations. But it’s going to take leadership at all levels of government to turn down the temperature. I spoke earlier this week with Vice President Vance, who expressed both publicly and privately a sincere desire to foster better cooperation between the federal government and state and local officials.”

Republican Floor Leader Harry Niska added:

“Escalation, violent rhetoric, and demonization has put the lives of Minnesotans and law enforcement alike in danger. It’s time to work together to remove violent criminals from our communities and ensure the safety of all Minnesotans. Knee-jerk reactions demanding confrontation instead of cooperation are putting everyone at risk. Minnesotans know how to exercise their constitutional right to peacefully protest and make their voices heard. It’s time to display real leadership and act in the best interests of all Minnesotans.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Looks Like His Wife Dresses Him’ — Fans Sense Taylor Swift in Travis Kelce’s Stylish Outfit for Chiefs Preseason Game 1
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Looks Like His Wife Dresses Him’ — Fans Sense Taylor Swift in Travis Kelce’s Stylish Outfit for Chiefs Preseason Game 1

Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes plan to surprise their husbands and to support their game tonight...
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes plan to surprise their husbands and to support their game tonight…

NO LONGER THE RUMOR: Just one hour ago, Travis Kelce dropped the long-awaited announcement we’ve all been hoping for…
CELEBRITY2 days ago

NO LONGER THE RUMOR: Just one hour ago, Travis Kelce dropped the long-awaited announcement we’ve all been hoping for…

Travis Kelce flashes his wedding ring as he arrives for first Chiefs game tonight since marrying Taylor Swift... but his new wife is not spotted in the stands...
CELEBRITY2 days ago

Travis Kelce flashes his wedding ring as he arrives for first Chiefs game tonight since marrying Taylor Swift… but his new wife is not spotted in the stands…

Travis Kelce Spotted on a Stroll With Wife Taylor Swift and a Baby Bump Just Weeks After Their Wedding, and Fans Are All Saying the Same Thing… See the Photos
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Travis Kelce Spotted on a Stroll With Wife Taylor Swift and a Baby Bump Just Weeks After Their Wedding, and Fans Are All Saying the Same Thing… See the Photos

BREAKING NEWS:Taylor Swift Tears Into Donald Trump After White House Files Lawsuit Against NBC Over SNL Mockery, Says the President Should “Worry About the Government Shutdown, Epstein Files, and Rising Food Prices” Instead of Comedy Sketches
CELEBRITY3 days ago

BREAKING NEWS:Taylor Swift Tears Into Donald Trump After White House Files Lawsuit Against NBC Over SNL Mockery, Says the President Should “Worry About the Government Shutdown, Epstein Files, and Rising Food Prices” Instead of Comedy Sketches

Is That a Baby Bump?!” Taylor Swift’s Shocking New Instagram Photo Has Everyone Screaming — Travis Kelce’s Comment Says It ALL...
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Is That a Baby Bump?!” Taylor Swift’s Shocking New Instagram Photo Has Everyone Screaming — Travis Kelce’s Comment Says It ALL…

Taylor Swift Breaks Her Silence — and the Internet: The Pop Queen Marches in Massive ‘No Kings Day’ Protest After Donating $1M to Anti-Trump Demonstrators, Calling for the End of Political Dynasties, Monarchy Culture, and ‘Celebrity Silence’ in America.
CELEBRITY3 days ago

Taylor Swift Breaks Her Silence — and the Internet: The Pop Queen Marches in Massive ‘No Kings Day’ Protest After Donating $1M to Anti-Trump Demonstrators, Calling for the End of Political Dynasties, Monarchy Culture, and ‘Celebrity Silence’ in America.

NO LONGER THE RUMOR: Just one hour ago, Travis Kelce dropped the long-awaited announcement we've all been hoping for... 👇
CELEBRITY5 days ago

NO LONGER THE RUMOR: Just one hour ago, Travis Kelce dropped the long-awaited announcement we’ve all been hoping for… 👇

Taylor Swift had her song "August" removed from a Team Trump TikTok account after it was used without her permission in a video showing Donald and Melania Trump watching fireworks...
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Taylor Swift had her song “August” removed from a Team Trump TikTok account after it was used without her permission in a video showing Donald and Melania Trump watching fireworks…

Taylor Swift is making history again! ✌ Taylor is set to become the youngest artist ever to be inducted into The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Shania Twain and more legendary stars. The ceremony is expected to take place later this year.
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Taylor Swift is making history again! ✌ Taylor is set to become the youngest artist ever to be inducted into The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Shania Twain and more legendary stars. The ceremony is expected to take place later this year.

Taylor Swift Caught on Camera Delivering Her Famous Homemade Sourdough to Her Hardworking Husband Travis Kelce at Chiefs Training Camp in St. Joseph, Only for Shocked Fans to Realize It Was the Real Deal – But the Internet Melted When Travis Was Caught Red-Handed With Crumbs All Over His Face, While Taylor’s Playful, Blushing Reaction After Noticing the Camera Made the Moment Even Sweeter, as Bystanders Raved About the Irresistible Aroma Drifting Across the Sidelines and Leaving Everyone Asking One Big Question… See Full Details and the Full Raw Clip
CELEBRITY5 days ago

Taylor Swift Caught on Camera Delivering Her Famous Homemade Sourdough to Her Hardworking Husband Travis Kelce at Chiefs Training Camp in St. Joseph, Only for Shocked Fans to Realize It Was the Real Deal – But the Internet Melted When Travis Was Caught Red-Handed With Crumbs All Over His Face, While Taylor’s Playful, Blushing Reaction After Noticing the Camera Made the Moment Even Sweeter, as Bystanders Raved About the Irresistible Aroma Drifting Across the Sidelines and Leaving Everyone Asking One Big Question… See Full Details and the Full Raw Clip

Copyright © 2025 Newsgho